Heya. I'm Luke.
I am currently a Product Designer at Memrise, so not taking on freelance gigs at the moment. However, I could always be tempted, so if your project is super exciting then get in touch.
For about ten years I've been a designer, illustrator, developer and a few other hats. These days, I mostly dabble in product design and illustration, doing everything from UX documentation to prototyping to branding to visual design, as well as sketching stupid things and lettering elaborate swears onto post-it notes.
Before that, I worked in content, digital strategy and social media, which I still ocassionally consult and train people on, to avoid people making the mistakes that bug me.
I'm also CTO of vinyl startup Wax & Stamp, one third of the team behind Early Doors Disco, run a little art-print side business called Neverwood Prints, and organise meetups and conferences in and around London when I feel a little lonely. In that past I ran the app development conference Native Summit, co-founded the theatre networking group Twespians and occasionally chased ghosts in pubs throughout London. In the 5 hours I have free every year, I also play music in an unknown band.
Aside from all this, I also speak at conferences around Europe on design, storytelling, UX, typography, creativity and why Josie and the Pussycats is a criminally underrated film.
If you want to look at some examples of my work, see the projects below or my workings on Dribbble.
Unless specified otherwise, I was responsible for both the design and development of all the below projects.
- 2016: Domestic Sluttery - Web design and dev on relaunch
- 2016: Wax & Stamp - Rebrand and web design
- 2015: Fujitsu - Hybrid Hive Website
- 2015: Find My past - Be The Judge
- 2015: Minor Entertainment - UX and design for Ticketing Website (to be launched)
- 2015: Newsquest Media Group - Design of corporate site (to be launched)
- 2015: KI Performance - UI design on health dashboard
- 2015: Sparkl.com - UX, front end and icon design
- 2015: Collective Wisdom - Branding and blog design
- 2015: Mr & Mrs Smith - UX lead on membership (to be launched)
- 2014-2015: Cisco Illustrations - illustrations and infographics for blog and Twitter posts
- 2015: Let Her Eat Clean rebrand and website - Ruth Walters/Let Her Eat Clean
- 2015: Wax & Stamp branding and website - Side project
- 2014: WDC 2014 site - Alex Older/Bluefly Digital
- 2013: Hotels Price Index 2013 - Hotels.com (Web design and development)
- 2013: The Critters microsite - Microsoft
Presentations, Workshops & Events
- No upcoming talks. If you'd like me to give a presentation on the finer points of YA Fantasy, 90s pop-punk, the tv show Round the Twist, or design, then shoot me an email
- 2016: WDC, Bristol, UK - 'How to run a design sprint in 5 days' Workshop
- 2015: MakingWeb 2.15, Oslo, Norway - Designing for Words: Elements of Typographic Style for the Web
- 2015: WDC, Bristol, UK - Sketchnotes Workshop
- 2014: WDC, Bristol, UK - Sketchnotes Workshop
- 2014: Breaking Borders, Reading, UK - Reframing Web Design: Theatre Design and the Web (video)
- 2014: Wuthering Bytes, Hebden Bridge, UK - Reframing Web Design: Theatre Design and the Web
- 2014: Second Wednesday, Nottingham, UK - Designing for Words: Elements of Typographic Style for the Web (slides)
- 2014: DevConFu, Jurmala, Latvia - Clouds of Dust (video)
- 2014: Future of Web Design, London, UK - Reframing Web Design: Theatre Design and the Web
- 2014: Event Handler Workshop , London, UK- Sketchnotes Workshop
- 2014: Design + Banter, London, UK - Reframing Web Design: Theatre Design and the Web
- 2013: MKGeekNight, Milton Keynes, UK - Reframing Web Design: Theatre Design and the Web (audio)
- 2013: GeekyConf, London, UK - Clouds of Dust
- 2013: Future of Web Apps, London, UK - The User Experience of Social (slides)
- 2013: WDC, Bristol, UK - The User Experience of Social
- 2013: DIBI, Newcastle, UK - Clouds of Dust (slides)
- 2013: Reasons to Be Creative - Elevator Pitch - The Process of Set Design (slides)